The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, April 02, 2015

Perception and Pink Elephants

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Yesterday, I attended a function at PhD Uni. I didn't want to attend this function, as its timing created some logistical issues for me. But the topic was related to the class that I am currently taking, so I thought it would be in my best interest to attend. I also knew that several professors from the department would attend. I saw it as an opportunity to put on the charm...and gather intelligence. I need to know a little bit about the inhabitants of the island where I will be taking up residence.

I ran into Laid Back Professor, whom I took two classes with and have a good rapport. I told him that I was accepted to the program, albeit provisionally. He told me that he knew all about my application and was party to the discussion of my application. I remarked that I had heard through the grapevine that the discussion was a rather contentious one. His facial expression took on a look of "Seriously?" He smiled and told me that the discussion was really not that bad and that my 4.0 and other work spoke volumes about the type of doc student I am. He went on to say that he wanted to talk to me about it, but he didn't want to get into the whole conflict of interest thing. I told him that I completely understood and appreciated his support.

Well, alrighty then...


Perhaps it is Current Professor who has/had the issue with my quant score. Rather than come out and directly say it, which would be a huge no-no, my professor used the committee or some anonymous person to express her own concerns.  I'm not saying that doing this is wrong. She cannot come out and tell who has the issue. I totally get that. I have confidential secrets from my lawyer days that are way more intense that this. But, the conversation with Laid Back Professor does put my current professor's comments into context. Laid Back Professor's perception is that my quant score is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. Current Professor's perception is that score is the pink elephant in the room. For Current Professor, the pink elephant is just too big to ignore. For Current Professor, it's all about perception.

I am a realist. I deal with what is, rather than what might be. What is is that I will knock quant out of the park, along with the rest of my PhD work. I also know that there are folks who don't see past the pink elephant. There may be nothing that I can do to have them see past the pink elephant. And, it is not my job to do it either. I just keep pushing forward....doing what I do best...

Knocking out the pink elephants. 

0 comments:

Subscribe