The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Accepted

Posted by Seeking Solace |

I've been accepted to PhD program at PhD Uni!

Well, I am provisionally accepted.

Because my quantitative score on the GRE was slightly below the threshold score for PhD Uni, and despite my high scores on the verbal and essay section, plus having 12 credits with a perfect 4.0, I am on provisional status until I have proven myself worthy. I must take nine credits and earn a "B" or better before being transferred to full standing. The downside is that I am not eligible for any funding while on provisional status.

You know what? I'm cool with that.

It's been a bit of a battle. I honestly thought that they would require me to take the test again. I think my closing argument helped, although I will never know for sure. I am considering this a victory.

Husband thinks we can handle the cost during my probation period. We do have some money saved that is not earmarked for anything. HBCU did give me a class for the fall, so that does help. I am also looking for other teaching gigs, as well as other administrative positions. I think I will do the course work part-time until I get off of probation, just to keep the out-of-pocket costs low.

So, I am happy..for a change!

5 comments:

JaneB said...

Yay for good news!

tracynicholrose said...

That's fabulous! Congratulations.

Our department has no choice to put a student on provisional status when their GRE score is below the University standard. We make the argument to the Graduate School on why the candidate should be accepted in spite of the score. They will only allow us to do that for so many students but no matter how good their other criteria is, we have to start them as provisionals. Just saying this because it might be that your dept is 100% behind you but has to play the game.

chicago foodie girl said...

Yay!!! :-)

AliceAcademic said...

Hooray! Congratulations!!

Seeking Solace said...

Thanks everyone!

What tracynichosrose said is exactly what happened. My department was 100% behind my admission. They were so awesome and supportive during the process.

Subscribe