The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, February 06, 2015

Please Excuse Seeking Solace...

Posted by Seeking Solace |

Please excuse Seeking Solace from the past couple of weeks of blogging. I've been battling some minor health issues, which by themselves, are not that big of a deal. But, when then pile on stuff one after the other, it's all-out war.

First, and I do apologize if anyone is offended by my TMI, I am getting to the age where "Auntie Flo's" visits are no longer predictable. There was a time where I could predict the exact hour of her arrival. Now, she just shows up when she feels like it. It's rather frustrating to plan your life around that kind of thing. While it's not the worst thing in the world, she did bring some additional baggage that I really didn't need to deal with at the time. This was the beginning of a blitzkrieg of issues.

Second, I had a minor RA flare last week. This was due to what I wrote in my last post. If the flare was the only thing that was going on, it would not have been a big deal. But, with Auntie Flo's surprise visit with unexpected additional baggage only added to the pain, discomfort and overall craptacular feelings I was experiencing. I made to Saturday where I thought I was finally in the clear.

I was wrong.

Saturday began the itchy, watery eyes, the sinus headache and my head feeling like a regulation inflated NFL football. (Yeah, I couldn't resist one last jab at Deflategate.) By Monday, my sinuses were so clogged that I could not function. I was also so nauseated that I could bare eat or drink. Then the vomiting began and a trip to Urgent Care revealed a sinus infection and an upper respiratory infection. I was given anti-nausea meds, a nasal spray and a steroid dose pack to battle the infections. The doctor did give me an antibiotic to use if the other meds did not give me relief. Because the biologic drugs for RA suppress the immune system,  antibiotics can cause some serious issues. She said I should check with the RA doc before taking them. Luckily, the current medical treatment is working, so no antibiotics needed.

Today is the first day that I am feeling human. The nausea is gone and I am slowing introducing real food back into my diet. I am still flushing out stuff from my nose, but it's clear, not milky green. And, the steroids have given me my energy back, along with the insomnia, energizer-bitch side effects. I don't consider this round of steroids as ending my one-year remission, as I was talking them for a different purpose. Husband did a great job getting rid of some of the excess dust and dander that seemed to pile up around the house, despite my efforts. Junior was a great snuggle buddy while I was sick, although I think his dander may have played minor role in my illness. Someone is having a spa day tomorrow.

I think the blitzkrieg is over. Now, it's time to get caught up on all the my missed work. 

So, to borrow a line that students use all too often...

Did I miss anything?

0 comments:

Subscribe