The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Friday, November 07, 2014

Writing While Running

Posted by Seeking Solace |

When I go for a run or a fast walk with Junior, it's not only about the exercise or getting a vitamin D fix. I use that time to think about stuff. Sometimes, I would try to resolve some issue going in my life. Sometimes, I write in my head, meaning I will compose something in my head to write later. This is true when I have some sort of writing piece that is due.

Today's run was about a paper that I am writing for my PhD course. The writing task is a simple one. It's an executive summary that should be no more than five pages. I don't have a problem with the length of the assignment; it is geared toward legal writing style which means keeping it short and to the point. Also, I found a great template to help me organize my summary. But, the ideas are just not flowing right now. I've got the GRE coming up in two weeks, plus work-related crap that has flooded my brain to the point that I am unable focus on this paper.

That's where my run/walks come into play. Once I get a good stride going, and Junior is not stopping to sniff and pee on everything, I can think about what I want to say. By the time I finished my 2.5 mile run, I had written my introduction in my head. Once I was inside, I immediately went to my computer, sweaty and tired, and typed what I had dictated in my head.

Now, all I need to do is write the rest of the paper. Too bad tomorrow is my off day from running.

0 comments:

Subscribe