The Waiting Room

This could take a while...

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Summertime Blues

Posted by Seeking Solace |

It was bound to happen...I have the blues.

The Summer of Seeking Solace is has been OK. I've been reading for pleasure and for the PhD. I learned that my conference proposal was accepted for a conference at West Coast Law School, which also means I need to get an IRB approved to do the interviews. I've been studying for the GRE. I've been going to the pool, cooking, going for runs with Junior and just hanging out.

And...I am now tired of all of it.

I know, I know...I should be enjoying this time because when August comes and classes start again at HBCU and at PhD U, I will be busy. Add the research, and I will be super busy. I totally get it.

Yet, I am in this funk.

The problem is the whole job hunt thing. It's hiring season. I applied for a faculty position at HBCU. After some strange twists and turns, I should know (hopefully) next week if I will get an interview. Also, a faculty position at a nearby law school has my name written all over it. I am waiting on one reference letter before I upload and click "Submit".  I applied for a position at local CC and have heard nothing but crickets. Of course, nothing will probably happen until after July 1st. But, all of this just has my head spinning. I wish I could just put the entire job process out of my head.

But, I can't. I can't focus on what I need to do. I will get short spurts of motivation, which last about an hour. After that, nothing! Even my usual tricks to get myself motivated are not working. Honestly, I am surprised that I've kept up with running. If it wasn't for Junior's persistence, I probably wouldn't go. Running is the one thing that has kept me relatively sane.

I've thought about changing my daily routine as a means to give me a jump start. Right now, my daily routine is so predictable. Junior knows exactly when it is time for lunch or going outside. Dogs are creatures of habit, but this is a little overboard.  So, since it is stupid hot season in Elsewhere, running with Junior will have to be much earlier in the morning. It's a little hard for me because I am not a morning person. But, it may give me an extra boost that will allow me to get some things done.
I will also need to change my routine on my off days from running. This may be a little harder.

Something else I want to do is to change my workspace, My desk in the home office is too small and it does allow me to spread out. Using our dinning room table is just not cutting it. Husband said I could use his desk, which is much bigger. But, I need my own desk with my stuff set up the way I like it. Our office is a large space, so I think getting a second large desk will work.


Perhaps these changes may be the cure for my Summertime Blues.

0 comments:

Subscribe